Day Four – The key to happiness

Hello Australians! Wow, it seems we are packing more and more into each day. I’m not going to ramble too much tonight, I’ll just give an outline of our day and leave you with some quotes from the kids (who, it must be said, are growing with each passing day).

It all began with a relaxed breakfast at 8. Each child seems to have honed their buffet skills to a samurai-like precision, darting between other diners to fill their plates with their favourite dish.

After breakfast we walked to Dhoby Gaut Train station with Akhmal, our new guide. We deftly maneuvered through a series of ticket scanners (and two faulty tickets) and made our way to our train. The train smoothly delivered us to the Sentosa Island monorail, and we rode that onto the island.

We were on Sentosa!

Our first job on Sentosa Island was to scale the hill up to Madam Tussaud’s. This climb was made easy by the incredible mosaic sculptures that ran down the centre of the path. We posed for photos, and became experienced art critics as we analysed the sweeping and surreal nature of some of the works. At the top of the hill was the Father Merlion. Not the original, but far bigger and probably more impressive.

Next on to Madam Tussaud’s. This was just great fun. Roaming from themed room to themed room, the kids’ eyes lit up when they spotted their favourite celebrities and posed for photos. At the end of the tour, we watched the Marvel 4D film (it quickly became apparent that Mrs.Zammit is easily scared). Madam Tussaud’s lead to the History of Singapore tour, where we learned about key events from Singapore’s past. In the show, Will and Hayden found work as cart pushers. They did okay.

Lunchtime. We ordered Subway and ate it beside a friendly pond, which we dipped our feet into after eating. We wanted more relaxation, so we marched down to Palawan beach,  crossed the rope bridge, climbed the towers and then headed to the beach for an hour or so, just to relax. Sand castles were built, tunnels were constructed, even a giant hole was dug. We waded around and cooled down.

Back to business. We headed to Universal studios for the obligatory photo in front of the globe. We browsed the amazing lolly shops there, and some of the boys tried their hand at a basketball game.

Then came a few amazing hours. We headed to McDonald’s for a light dinner and still had some time to kill before Wings of Time, so decided to take a walk on the beach. Nothing is that simple with this group, as our leisurely walk turned into a ferocious game of gang-up tiggy on the sand. Teachers versus students. The kids bit off more than they could chew. Miss Mac’s competitive side can be a bit unnerving at times, and I steamrolled Luke (I think the impression of his face will still be in the sand right now). Ms Maskery was not playing nice and Lachie described Mrs. Zammit as being ‘everywhere at once’. Lesson learned kids.

Sweating profusely, we limped to the Wings of Time light show. I won’t go into detail here, but it was amazing. Ask your kids about it when they get back.

There, I didn’t ramble at all (well, maybe a little).

We asked the kids what their favourite part of the day was, and a challenge that they overcame. Here are their responses:

Will:  The wings of time and wax museum, the whole of  Sentosa was great. The challenge was being damp (with sweat) for 4-5 hours.

Nathan: Same as Will. Challenge – being damp and salty.

Rawiri: Loved the Father Merlion and Subway.

Ella: Loved the wax museum and the beach. My challenge was keeping my hat on.

Luke: I liked the gardens and the wings show. Hated damp socks.

Lizzy: I liked the Wings of Time and wax museum. My challenge was the weight of my backpack.

Alana: The Wings of Time and the wax museum. My challenge was keeping the sand off me.

Mannat: Wings of time and dipping my feet in the pond. My challenge was staying focused on the Wings of Time, there was so much to see!

Haddon: Loved the mosaics and the beach tiggy and loved the Wings of Time. Challenge – dealing with chafing.

Lachie: Playing tiggy on the beach and the wings of time. Challenge – trying not to swim at the beach.

Hayden: The whole day. Challenge – my sandy shorts.

Aiden: Seeing Yao Ming and playing tiggy. Challenge – walking around being sandy.

Jeb: The whole island. Challenge – sand

And that’s it. Off to bed for us. Tomorrow is our school visit – the learning continues!

Thanks,

Mr.Pryor, Ms Maskery, Mrs Zammit & Miss Mac

12 thoughts on “Day Four – The key to happiness

1. WOW!!!.. You are all doing sooo many fun activities!!… You will need a holiday after your holiday!!..
    Nathan. I’m so sorry.. I’ve only just caught up with the blog!.. Yoy know what I’m like with technology! 🙄🤣..
    I bet you loooved the wax museum?!.. That would have been awesome to see!!..
    Keep having HEAPS of fun!!.. Tomorrow in Berwick it’s goung to wet, cold & only 9.c !!.. BRrrr!!
    Love ya loads Nath’!
    Love
    Mum, Dad & Alisha! XXX

2. Looks like you are all having an amazing time.

Glad you enjoyed the whole of Sentosa Island Will. How are you coping with the heat? Is it as hot as Rome?

We are missing you here at home. It is very quiet without you. Love Mum, Dad, Zac and Liam x x

1. I am coping well and i am loving the heat;my back has been so sweaty but apart from that i am loving it. It is not quite as hot as Rome. I am missing you guys a little but not that much as nanny said don’t be to home-sick.
      Love will xx

3. What an awesome day you all had! I can’t wait to see all the photos of Madam Tussaud’s Aiden- I hope you took plenty!
    Sounds like Lachie’s mum and I have the same routine- waking up and reading the blog first thing in the morning. I love hearing about your day and the adventures you’ve all been on.
    Happy Birthday Ella!
    Lots of love, hugs and kisses to you Aiden, missing you heaps xx

1. hi mum we are having an amazing time i cant wait to come home and talk all about it. also my host family was so good!!!! they took us to heaps of places. love you to, missing you heaps xoxo

4. Hi there everyone,

Mr Pryor, your post made us all laugh back at school. It’s good to know you’re all having a brilliant time.

Best,
    Mr Kelly

5. Guess Il be collecting Singapore sand in a test tube to treasure in the bottom of the bags. You guys are having so much fun.
    Happy Birthday to you
    Happy birthday to you
    Happy Birthday to Ella
    Happy birthday to you 🎂🎈🎉
    Wishing you a Happy 11th Birthday, and I hope you have an Awesome day. Hope you like your present. Luv you to the moon and back.
    Luv mum dad and James. Xx

1. Hi mum it’s Ella thank you so much I’m meeting my host family today so that will be exciting.
      From Ella.

6. Oh this post made me giggle! I could picture you playing tiggy on the beach & I’m so happy the teachers taught you a lesson! Hahaha!!!

It sounds like another perfect day! The favourite part of my day has became reading the blog each morning as soon as I wake up. This morning I then had an argument with Spence about why he couldn’t go to the beach! It’s freezing!!! His solution was for all of us to go Singapore, he’s problem solver! 😂🙄

Have the best time at school today! Keep learning heaps xxxx

1. Hey mum how is everyone it has been great so far cant wait to see you soon in Melbourne love you all heaps. The teachers did give me a lesson but it was fun so that is all that matters love you all bye xoxo

7. Keep up the learning…
    Coming back and going back to class is going to be a bigger challenge than sandy shorts. 😉
    This time in two weeks I will bet you all would suffer the sweat and sand to be back on a wonderful adventure like this. Wish we were there with you.

Enjoy every moment when you can!!
    We love and miss you
    Luv Mum Dad and MJ. 😎 🔆